Scappoose, meaning "gravelly plain" was given its name by the Chinook Indians who lived here. Scappoose was the meeting place for the annual Pow-Wow which boasted gaming, horse races, feasting, and trading. In the 1930s, the Steinfeld Pickle Factory came to Scappoose. Although the factory is gone, join us at the annual Sauerkraut Festival in September.
Things To Do
- Hike or bicycle along the Crown-Zellerback Trail
- Go bird watching on Dike Road and see eagles, opsrey, and herons who have made their homes along Multnomah Channel
- Scappoose Farmers Market every Saturday through the summer
- Eat Sauerkraut Ice Cream at the Sauerkraut Festival in September
- Relive Scappoose' Heritage at the Pow Wow in July
- Wings and Wheels at the Airpark in August(planes, trains, automobiles)
- Show your skills at the skate park
- Take a tour of the Watts House Museum
- Take a bi-plane ride from Scappoose Airpark
From Portland, take US Highway 30 north about 15 miles.